Senior WordPress Developer
Leverage the power of WordPress in new ways for mission-driven organizations
Are you a personable, Senior WordPress Developer with a strong architectural mindset, collaborative spirit, and commitment to building sustainable website ecosystems? More importantly, are you driven by a collaborative spirit and motivated by a desire to do good in the world?
Kalamuna is seeking a development leader to help evolve and formalize our WordPress practice to achieve user-centered outcomes for our mission-driven clients, while fostering a culture of innovation and continuous learning.
Reporting to the Director of Technology, you'll work closely with our Senior Project Manager who is overseeing the WordPress practice, UX practitioners, and other developers to help plan and realize component-driven designs, API integrations, and editor experience. You’ll also have a hand in helping shape our WordPress support practice.
Candidates for this full-time (32-40h/wk) remote position must reside in the US or Canada. If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us.
- Excellent communication skills for both internal and client-facing communications
- Time management and prioritization skills to balance long-term innovation with client project needs
- Architecting and estimation to help break down big projects into manageable tasks that developers less experienced than you can successfully deliver on
- Plugin authoring to solve customer problems when needed, and ability to discern when using an existing plugin is best
- Mastery of web standards and best practices, particularly the ability to write meaningful, semantic HTML that responds across devices and breakpoints, degrades gracefully, and meets (or exceeds) the latest accessibility guidelines
- Comfortable with modern development practices and build tools such as JIRA, GitHub, CircleCI, LocalWP, Lando, Composer, etc
- Update Management best practices across multiple sites
- Performance Optimization through caching and monitoring
- Familiarity with modern website security best practices for WordPress
- Agile experience working with agency teams leveraging Scrum, Kanban or similar methodologies
- Familiarity with component-driven design practices and Gutenberg
- WordPress migration experience
You might also know about
- Cloud hosting with WP Engine and/or Pantheon
- Web analytics
- User experience, information architecture
- Writing clear and concise documentation
- Knowledge of other frameworks like Drupal, Craft, React, or Gatsby
Working With Us
People are at the ♥ of everything we do.
Kalamuna is driven by a civic spirit to help socially impactful institutions, nonprofits, and governments better communicate with constituents and do right by the people they serve. We bring digital communications to life for organizations as varied as Fair Trade USA, GreenBiz, the American Foundation for the Blind, the Environmental Defence Fund, the Smithsonian, UC Berkeley, Stanford, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
Kalamuna’s mission is to empower our clients with the research, strategy, design, and technology that will transform their organizations to better serve the needs of their audiences and communities. Kalamuna aligns itself in this manner to make each of our client’s missions our mission. We seek to be impactful, not only for our clients and partners but for the social good of our communities.
We’re committed to your excellence and continued development; we’re in this together. Kalamuna offers many benefits, including paid holidays, PTO, paid bereavement leave, parental leave, health insurance, long and short-term disability, a continued learning & travel stipend, an equipment fund, and retirement funds with 3% match. We offer flexibility in work hours and accomodations. When pandemic-free, we organize company-wide gatherings like team building workshops, conferencing, and additional fun.
We’re looking for individuals with a broad range of interests and experiences to be their authentic selves. Your story, your passion is what interests us most. Meet some of our team at https://youtu.be/K1rtt6oKGEs.
Commitment to Diversity
Kalamuna is committed to eradicating institutional discrimination and bias and to uplifting the lived experiences of all minorities.
As such, Kalamuna welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ2S+ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Kalamuna is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that complies with applicable laws.
If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us. No exceptions.